Monday, February 1, 2010

Santa Cruz

I ventured out to the Bay Area a couple weeks ago. You might have heard the hype everywhere from Surfline to the Weather Channel which dubbed the weather systems the "Western Wallop!"

Three major storms battered the West Coast, leaving flooded roads, mud slides, major rain, stormy surf and incredible snowfall in the Sierra Nevadas.

I spent a week there. 6/7 days was blown out with stormy surf in Santa Cruz while northern spots had 20+ faces with unridable conditions. I managed to catch Steamer Lane the day before I left. Sadly, I wrecked my knee before I paddled out and I could hardly make a bottom turn.

Highlights of the trip: R. Dorosko charging middle peak on a rental tuff lite longboard sitting next to a couple locals on their guns, and just barely scratching into a wave that I am saying measured close to 18 feet. He managed to get one that was around 16 foot though. *Point of interest, the Dorosko brothers are incredible surfers. R. and Dave surfed Todos Santos on a woman's rounded pin short board and an 80's fish, respectively.

Total Trip Cost: $400. Total Waves Caught: 6. Averages out to$66.67 a wave. Not what I would consider a successful trip by any measure but a fun trip none the less.















*These photos were taken after the session.



No comments: